Good oral hygiene is super important when you have braces. That includes brushing three times a day and flossing daily throughout orthodontic treatment. Flossing with braces can be tricky. But did you know there are simple, inexpensive tools that can help make flossing easier? Keep reading for helpful tips on how to floss with braces.
How to Floss with Braces: The Basics
Whether you have braces or not, you should floss once a day, every day—preferably at night—in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Remember to always floss before you brush (not after). Follow these basic steps on how to floss with braces:
- Tear off an 18-inch strip of toothfloss, and pull or “thread” it under your wires so that you can work the floss between each tooth. (See below for tools designed to make this step quicker and easier.)
- Wrap the floss around your middle fingers, pull it tight, and gently insert it between the teeth.
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape against the side of the tooth and underneath the gums.
- Rub the floss gently up and down against both sides of the tooth, without jerking or snapping.
- Repeat this process for every tooth. And don’t forget to floss behind your back teeth.
Tools Designed to Make Flossing Easier
To help ensure easy flossing during orthodontic treatment, try using one of these simple tools: Platypus Orthodontic Flossers, Oral B Super Floss, or floss threaders (see video below). As a Dougherty Orthodontics patient, you will receive Super Floss and floss threaders when your braces are placed. And you can find the Platypus Flossers at Schnucks or buy them online. Use these products to make flossing with braces a breeze!