Meet Stefanie Dougherty, DMD
Education & Experience
Dr. Stefanie Dougherty grew up in Dieterich, Illinois, and graduated from Dieterich High School in 1997. Her passion for orthodontics began in second grade after she had her first visit with an orthodontist.
After high school, Dr. Dougherty was accepted into the combined baccalaureate in Biology/Doctorate in Dentistry Program at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
The rigorous program allowed Dr. Dougherty to complete her pre-professional curriculum at SIUE in three years and obtain her Bachelor of Science, cum laude, by SIUE following the first year of her professional dental curriculum at Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine in Alton, IL.
She completed her training and received her DMD cum laude in 2004.
Dr. Dougherty practiced general dentistry for three years before deciding to follow her passion for orthodontics.
She attended Indiana University School of Dentistry and completed her orthodontic residency in 2009, receiving her Master of Science in Dentistry and her certificate in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics.
The field of orthodontics has given Dr. Dougherty the great opportunity to create amazing, healthy smiles for patients and make a difference in their lives.
“I am so blessed to be able to create smiles as a profession! I love working with others to enhance a patient’s self esteem, all while building lasting relationships.
I aspire to live, both personally and professionally, by treating others as I would like to be treated. My practice and philosophy of care are centered around this principle.”
– Dr. Dougherty
- American Association of Orthodontists (AAO)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- Greater St. Louis Dental Society
- Greater St. Louis Dental Society Board of Directors
- IU Orthodontic Alumni Association
- Missouri Dental Association (MDA)
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
- SIU/SDM Alumni Council
- Washington University Orthodontic Study Club
- Xi Psi Phi Dental Fraternity
- Combined Baccalaureate in Biology and Doctorate of Dentistry Program, cum laude– Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry, cum laude – Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Master of Science in Dentistry and Certificate of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics – Indiana University School of Dentistry
Outside the Office
Dr. Dougherty is married to Jeff Dougherty, whom she met in dental school, and they have two boys.
In her free time, you can find her:
- Spending time with her family
- Playing the piano
- Watching movies
- Volunteering at her church
- Going to country music concerts
Giving Back to the St. Louis Community
Dr. Dougherty is proud to be part of the wonderful St. Louis, MO, community and is dedicated to giving back through the Smiles Change Lives organization.
This organization helps families with the cost of braces by providing access to orthodontic care for qualified children.
In addition to Smiles Change Lives, Dr. Dougherty serves the community through the following organizations:
- Salvation Army
- Ronald McDonald House
- St. Anthony’s Hospital prenatal class speaker
- Give Kids a Smile
- TaTa Sisterhood Foundation
- Wrap a Bottom corporate contributor
- Forward Strides 4NF Walk
Dr. Dougherty Interview
Listen to Dr. Dougherty on Girl Talk on The Big 550 KTRS
Thank you so much for choosing us as one of the top dentists in St. Louis. We are honored to have been the recipients of this award since 2017.